X-Men ‘97

The retconning of the original is bizarre to me. Let's not act like it isn't the best adaption of the comics out there and if it wasn't so highly regarded then they wouldn't be doing a direct sequel to it, we'd be getting a rebooted cartoon instead.

It’s commendable for tackling the themes it tackled and being effective overall, but nostalgia colours our memories of it … the actual quality of the animation and pacing at times is downright janky. Not always, but especially when considered against something like Batman The Animated Series (which aired at the same time), which has rightly become seen as a work of art.

The adaptation argument is interesting because like… yeah it’s closest to the comics but a lot worse? So… yeah.

It’s commendable for tackling the themes it tackled and being effective overall, but nostalgia colours our memories of it … the actual quality of the animation and pacing at times is downright janky. Not always, but especially when considered against something like Batman The Animated Series (which aired at the same time), which has rightly become seen as a work of art.
The quality only dipped at the very end though. And the same thing happened with the Batman one too towards the end.

I think we have different tastes then, because the entirety of XMTAS is cute next to BTMAS’ gorgeous. They’re not on the same level. And before anything else, I’m an X-Stan.
Batman had the advantage of running longer and having movies too expanding the stories, but it wasn't without its flaws either. Lots of other cartoons aired at the same time and aren't well remembered, it seems unfair the put X-men against something like Batman which is so highly regarded for many reasons. The X-men Animated Series was excellent for most of its run and is still widely regarded as such by so many people.
X-men The Animated Series is the only 90's marvel cartoon other than Spider-Man to actually last more than a season or two.

A dream come true. It's faithful to the original but somehow 10x even better. The animation is gorgeous. It's action packed. The writing is incredible and has a maturity to it that the original lacked. The amount of story they told in just two episodes is impressive. I'm emotional because this is way better than it ever had a right to be.

The way they tackled current politics, from human rights to the insurrection was impeccable and impressive. This is what the X-Men always stood for and I'm so happy that it was so powerful here.

Me to every straight person I know "When your young kids ask about current political topics like trans rights or the insurrection..etc, show them this show."

Also the squeal I let out when morph gave my favorite mutant EVER (Psylocke) a cameo.. oh my dogs flipped tf out.

The retconning of the original is bizarre to me. Let's not act like it isn't the best adaption of the comics out there and if it wasn't so highly regarded then they wouldn't be doing a direct sequel to it, we'd be getting a rebooted cartoon instead.
I don't think there's any need to retcon. The original was great, but this is... just so much better, especially in terms of script and story telling. I think you'll understand when you watch.

For me, it like the original is a program made for kids that adults could still enjoy, but this is a program made for adults that is still suitable to let kids watch.. if that makes sense.

For me, it like the original is a program made for kids that adults could still enjoy, but this is a program made for adults that is still suitable to let kids watch.. if that makes sense.
Great take! I was seriously thinking about this today. If I had a child, would I let them see this show compared to the first series? I can easily tell ‘97 will tackle themes and issues in a more adult fashion.

So far I would rather my child watch this.

Episode 1 was good, but episode really got things cooking. Of all of the possible storylines for them to do, never once did I think they'd adapt the January 6th insurrection. I cannot wait to see more.

I think we have different tastes then, because the entirety of XMTAS is cute next to BTMAS’ gorgeous. They’re not on the same level. And before anything else, I’m an X-Stan.
Maybe they're talking about The New Batman Adventures? In which case, yeah, I was not a fan of the animation style changes or some of the new characterization. But even with the original run, some of the animation was not up to snuff depending on the animation studios. BTAS was definitely more consistent and hit higher highs though.

Me to every straight person I know "When your young kids ask about current political topics like trans rights or...etc, show them this show."
Part of me is terrified that certain people are gonna watch this and go, "Gyrich and X-Cutioner are right!" But those people are probably lost anyway. I'm hoping most reasonable people will see the parallels, and those that need the lessons can re-examine their beliefs and grow.

At the very least, some kid is about to have his gay awakening, 'cause that crop top, damn!

He/Him
"Do not think. Be silent. Heed my commands and you shall survive."

Storm is everything.

They better give her powers back immediately.
Exactly!
I felt physically bereft at the end of that episode. They must know how popular she is. They better not keep her powers away for too long. A couple of eps or I’ll lose my patience.

The quality of the animation throughout the whole original series is pretty spotty. It's not amazing or even great. The last season/last handful of episodes make the rest of the episodes look "great" - when they were just okay.
You could say that about most cartoons being made 30+ years ago though. For a Saturday morning cartoon in the early 90's it stood out and was pretty amazing to watch and even now it holds up pretty well.

There was so much good stuff-

Morph being around to drop very cool cameos was my fave bit
The sheer emotion of seeing Storm (____ her ______s) was better than most recent marvel.
Sunspot getting to repeat the Jubilee role was good - I’m down for a new mutants spinoff so bad
The showing off of each characters power set felt good- bishop and cyclops both got a good airing of cool ways they can use theirs
The political stuff felt real the best thing about x men is the feeling they’re hunted and feared for just being … born this way.