X-Men ‘97

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I have no idea what happened re: Mr. Demayo, but as someone who has worked in Hollywood for over 20 years...it's quite vexing that of all the "massive nightmares" in this town, they fire a queer Black one...especially one whose output has met unanimous fan/critical acclaim.

He could quite possibly be an actual nightmare to work with, but...I can't imagine him being worse than a lot of (straight white) folks who haven't been fired/continuously given more work.
There are two worlds about this -

This type of abuse and behavior shouldn't be awarded, period. But if there is an element of its "wrongness" being racially-decided... that element itself should be scrutinized as well.

Messy overall.

I saw this awesome theory that
Lifedeath might introduce Roma who will resurrect some/all the Genosha dead in preparation for them to fight the real mastermind of the genocide.
She did being the team back to life in the comics so it’s not a huge leap. As long as Gambit, Magneto and Madelyne are resurrected I won’t be too depressed.
As for the big bad, I know in the comics it’s Cassandra Nova but I’d rather it was someone like Bastion, it’s clearly someone who has been working with Trask either way.

I saw this awesome theory that
Lifedeath might introduce Roma who will resurrect some/all the Genosha dead in preparation for them to fight the real mastermind of the genocide.
She did being the team back to life in the comics so it’s not a huge leap. As long as Gambit, Magneto and Madelyne are resurrected I won’t be too depressed.
As for the big bad, I know in the comics it’s Cassandra Nova but I’d rather it was someone like Bastion, it’s clearly someone who has been working with Trask either way.

They've confirmed its not Casandra, which makes sense to me.

I don't think you can start throwing anymore big stuff into this season, so much has happened already it risks just getting jammed with too many huge storylines back to back. All this stuff needs to breathe and be explored now, rather than adding more in for attention.

Plus, Cable mentioned a "he" before the attack.

I'm willing to bet its Bastion working with Trask.

I think the season will dovetail into Sinister / Maddie and Trask / Bastion. This thematically makes sense given the first five episodes of set up where the premiere was about the Sentinels and obviously Episode Three was the Madelyne setup.

Last edited:
The new episode was nice exploring two other storyline’s (one being the Storm story). Next week should soak up the absolute devastation of it all.

This episode was much needed after last week, but still managed to pack a punch emotionally. The ever changing titles are such a great touch. Seeing Nightcrawler get his own moment is so cool.
Wasn't expecting Sinister to be the big bad but really should have, it made no sense for him to just be a tiny part on one episode. I wonder if Bastion is even in this season? We've seen glimpses of him in previous episodes.

Seeing Storm confront her biggest fears really highlights how much of a fully formed character she is and how much more than a weather goddess she is. That moment
where she realises she had her powers back and tranforms into her 70's era look? Utter cinema. (not me calling it in a previous post, she just needed to find that connection again)
Was not expecting to see some form of the Shiiar Kree War being adapted though. They throw so many shocks at us. And
VULCAN?!

Just rewatched the part with Storm at the end again. The way everything comes together to craft such a perfect representation of everything Ororo is and the sheer power she has. Not only with her powers but with the world itself and her inner strength and understanding of her flaws. The animation and music really elevated that moment.
"...so let them thunder. For I AM LIGHTNING"
x-men-yas-storm-qvjw4aw34n999gc5.gif

I hope we get updated opening titles with Storm's new look next week.

I can't stop watching that scene. Storm is THAT Mother. Her cutting her hair and becoming harder when she thought she was broken and lost only to then grow it longer than ever and claim her goddess-ness when she reconnected and found herself again. Phew. I expect novels to be written about the symbolism of it all.
Honestly I even liked the moments with Xavier. I really loved the "class is in session" and lol'd when he said "demerits" to Deathbird. It was a great callback to what Cyclops said in the first episode. The astral classroom was a nice callback to the "X-men The End" mini series too.

He/Him
I truly cannot imagine anyone being Storm than Alison. And I say this as a fan of Dawnn Lewis who does her in video games.
Her voice is perfect, but I just read that they cast Iona Morris first but replaced her because they didn't want to have to pay her residuals on reruns because she was an American (as Canadian voice actors did not get residuals from reruns).

Lovely palette cleanser while continuing to move in completely unexpected places. Shi’ar drama? I wasn’t expecting THAT. Deathbird ate.

Storm’s original costume is iconic, but for some reason I will never get behind it for a mature version of the character. Interesting choice for her to go “backwards”. I thought a version of her X-Treme or Astonishing/mid 00s ones would be more appropriate, even if less iconic.