X-Men ‘97

I have a lot of faith in this show but I will admit that bothering to adapt/nod to the weird period where Xavier was away in Space is a bold choice. Evidently it's a half-episode thing, and thematically it's quite rich, and the X-universe does, vitally, extend into the cosmos, but the episode didn't do much to catch anyone up on Lilandra/the Shi'Ar.

I also just...forgot he wasn't actually dead nn. I never actually watched the end of the cartoon back in the day and my love just transferred to the comics when I began to pick them up in 1998 (!).

Anyway, MASSIVE potential storyline hinted at that might have been mentioned here (the part of the episode that truly made me gasp)... it might just be an easter egg a future series COULD pick up on more than a guarantee of anything being explored but...
Gabriel Summers, AKA Vulcan, AKA the third (lost) Summers brother, was in the episode.
vulcan-looks-off-screen-with-glowing-eyes-and-fist-in-x-men-97.jpg
He is a vital part of the controversial Deadly Genesis storyline, in which it's revealed that before Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler etc were gathered as a the 'new' team to rescue the original X-Men, Xavier had tried once before, with the first newly assembled group being killed on the mission. This was then kept secret from everyone. Vulcan of course comes back, it all goes to shit, and he becomes a big bad.

I have a lot of faith in this show but I will admit that bothering to adapt/nod to the weird period where Xavier was away in Space is a bold choice. Evidently it's a half-episode thing, and thematically it's quite rich, and the X-universe does, vitally, extend into the cosmos, but the episode didn't do much to catch anyone up on Lilandra/the Shi'Ar.

I also just...forgot he wasn't actually dead nn. I never actually watched the end of the cartoon back in the day and my love just transferred to the comics when I began to pick them up in 1998 (!).

Anyway, MASSIVE potential storyline hinted at that might have been mentioned here (the part of the episode that truly made me gasp)... it might just be an easter egg a future series COULD pick up on more than a guarantee of anything being explored but...
Gabriel Summers, AKA Vulcan, AKA the third (lost) Summers brother, was in the episode.
vulcan-looks-off-screen-with-glowing-eyes-and-fist-in-x-men-97.jpg
He is a vital part of the controversial Deadly Genesis storyline, in which it's revealed that before Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler etc were gathered as a the 'new' team to rescue the original X-Men, Xavier had tried once before, with the first newly assembled group being killed on the mission. This was then kept secret from everyone. Vulcan of course comes back, it all goes to shit, and he becomes a big bad.
I think the Easter egg is why they have this Xavier in space storyline. Lots of shenanigans can come out of this: 1) show how Xavier can be a shady fuck, 2) more family dynamics drama, 3) any excuse to have Sinister salivating.

He/Him
You say that like they haven’t redone certain aspects of the intro already. Episodes 1-3 had Jean (Madelyn) with her hair down in her solo shot and then episode 4 onwards, her hair is tied up. They’ve also been having different sequences put into the montage part of the intro - it’s definitely possible to do.
Certain aspects, yes. But right from the beginning, when she and Rogue are flying around the jet, the bit where they all run towards Magneto et al and more. It’s not just the individual shot I was talking about.

I hope that Vulcan appearing is just a nice nod to the fans who know who he is. His storylines in the comics are so good (especially the whole Emperor Vulcan saga) and The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is my favourite X-story ever, but it would be a nightmare to adapt and would lose a lot of the power that it had. The saga really brought Havok, Rachel and Polaris to the forefront and I can't see it working without them.
We've had several moments like that both in the original and this. We saw Rachel in season 4, had Sunfire in the Genosha episodes and have seen Deathstrike, Pixie etc. in this new series.

Certain aspects, yes. But right from the beginning, when she and Rogue are flying around the jet, the bit where they all run towards Magneto et al and more. It’s not just the individual shot I was talking about.
They already changed that up anyway (replacing several baddies in the running bit and adding in Morph and Bishop), so maybe they had alternates ready to go once Storm had her weave done.

He/Him
Of course, but I’m sure those won’t get touched and it’ll be the name card one if they do change anything. Though, it’s not as difficult as it looks. As an animator, I’d be annoyed but Disney will spend money on stuff like that. If the whole team gets a new costume, then I could see them changing those shots up.
The fascination with a goth Rogue in that era was wild. Especially since we were well out of the goth peak of the 90s.
Goth Rogue in Evolution was my favorite though.

I can see what you mean. Isn't Gambit still in the Blackbird at the start as it flies by and also in the group run as the intro closes and the end card kicks in? So maybe they aren't going to change everything.

Of course, if Gambits death sticks this season they maybe should.

I hope the deaths do stick. What a huge, seismic shock for the show and mythos, but also one that would really put a line between this and other versions of X-Men.

I hope the deaths do stick. What a huge, seismic shock for the show and mythos, but also one that would really put a line between this and other versions of X-Men.

It would be a very bold move and not ever weaken the power Episode Five had.

Magneto's not dead anyway, his death felt quite open to me and I suspect Leech took his power which fooled the Sentinel into thinking he had been terminated. There was definitely something going on in that final moment.

Magneto's not dead anyway, his death felt quite open to me and I suspect Leech took his power which fooled the Sentinel into thinking he had been terminated. There was definitely something going on in that final moment.
Okay now wait a minute now...
1j1pyb.jpg

Might explain why
Xavier only saw Gambit as a skeleton in the Astral Plane?

I think Magneto, Gambit and Maddie will be back somehow by the end of the season.

(Am I the only one who thought the Sentinel was referring to Gambit as the Omega level threat rather than Magneto? It only seemed to move towards Mags when he started to use his powers again to distract it)

He/Him

Yes, and the way the episodes have been paced, it seems as though it's all been done for a reason. Giving us time to sit and wait. Leech was definitely there for a reason and I'm excited to see it unfold this coming week. I really need Emma to come out of the rubble in diamond form... Even though Beau supposedly doesn't like Emma or was it just he didn't like/get Emma and Scott?

So glad Disney made this a weekly show. The amount of discourse it produces all week long! Reminds me of the good old days of “water-cooler” television. Even though it’s not flaming the streaming charts it’s producing lots of online chatter.

He/Him
So glad Disney made this a weekly show. The amount of discourse it produces all week long! Reminds me of the good old days of “water-cooler” television. Even though it’s not flaming the streaming charts it’s producing lots of online chatter.
Honestly, I'd rather create buzz and discussion over popping up at #1 for a week and then disappearing. Binge mode only works with certain things and it truly hinders shows from being able to gain an audience. I'll always take it over a full drop of episodes.