Years and Years (Russell T. Davies' new series) | The Popjustice Forum

Years and Years (Russell T. Davies' new series)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Music City Queen, May 21, 2019.

1. Anyone else been watching?

The second episode just finished and it's quite possibly my new obsession. I would expect nothing less than amazing from something starring the amazing Emma Thompson.

Sam, andru, GodsAndMonsters and 6 others like this.
  2. Yes, I’ve been watching and I’m obsessed.

3. It's BRILLIANT. Definitely something very special.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Can't believe there isn't pages of discussion on here about this??!

(Mind you if it's not Drag Race, do the gays even care?)

Incredible stuff. I don't know where to start!

I was in a state of shock after the first episode, and had to watch it again!

And I simply mesmerised by the beauty of the guy playing the Ukrainian!

5. He’s very attractive, but I can’t take my eyes off Rory Kinnear. Oop.

The sequences near the start and end of each episode with the tribal-like chanting/music gives me goosebumps each time. Really gripping stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. What's it about?

7. The BBC's press release summary:
    Years and Years, by Russell T Davies, is an epic saga that takes an ordinary family and catapults them through the next 15 years. As society changes, faster than ever, the Lyons will experience everything we hope for in the future, and everything we fear. They’ll fall in and out of love and grow old, fall apart and come back together, while constantly looking forward.

Each episode propels us a year or two ahead, following the lives of Daniel (Russell Tovey), Stephen (Rory Kinnear) and his wife Celeste (T’Nia Miller), sisters Rosie (Ruth Madeley) and Edith (Jessica Hynes), Gran Muriel (Anne Reid) and the family’s children, as they navigate a world made unstable by politics, the economy and technological advances.

But this isn’t a dark, fearful show. It’s full of wit, warmth, and hope.

Years and Years is about family. It shows how we survive against the backdrop of a political world in which you can’t tell right from left any more. The tone is fierce, funny, heartbreaking and, ultimately, shows one family’s determination to survive the future.

I'd say if you like Black Mirror then there's a chance you'll enjoy this too.

RHOPJ and stuaw like this.
  8. It’s a little bit Black Mirror-y. We follow a family in the UK from 2019 through to 2030-something. Dystopian future, etc.

Music City Queen likes this.
  9. Really enjoying this. Anything with Anne Reid gets my vote.

10. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

I'm obsessed. It's one of the most immersive shows I've come across in years. Writing a near-future world is obviously tricky since the audience only has to wait a few years to find out how accurate it was, but I can totally buy that this could be the future of the UK and the world in general. Even the little throwaway lines like Rory Kinnear's character mentioning he doesn't have a TV anymore bring it all to life. It's just immaculate writing.

andru, idratherjack, Sugaboy and 2 others like this.
  11. ICON. x

12. Russell is a master at using dialogue to world-build. Really, it's remarkable how much he can help you get to know a character in this way.

13. The first episode was giving me Turn Left, and then the last ten minutes ramped everything up, and I need to watch episode 2 tonight now.

14. Yep, I can confirm that this is amazing. RTD at his best.

The slightly sci-fi elements are entertaining yet grounded, the casting and cinematography is perfect, and the balance between family drama and political turmoil is exactly right.

I think they played the "I want to be digital and live in the cloud" card a little too early, in terms of being believable for our near future, but that's my only criticism. Everything else is chillingly believable.

15. The scene with the sex robot was terrible (she's... in a wheelchair and casually attaching the thing to the robot when he comes down the stairs mumbling "Don't do that". He gave her quite the headstart there) but other than that I'm all in.

stuaw and distant_cousin like this.
  16. She’s part mobile..

But why do I feel Emma Thompson is going to be the true villain of the whole thing?

stuaw likes this.
  17. She found the thing in bed. She took it from the nightstand, took it downstairs, opened the door, fiddled with the robot and attached the thing and only then does he stumble downstairs and says "Oh no, what is you doing?" It would have been a ridiculous scene even if she'd been fully mobile.

I don't take it as seriously as I sound there though. I mean, Russell Tovey a top?!

18. They flip flop in episode 2...

stuaw and distant_cousin like this.
  19. Here for this x

sometimesxtc, stuaw and Sugaboy like this.
  20. The guy with the sex robot was bloody Noel from Hear’say!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.