Years & Years - Night Call | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Years & Years - Night Call

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Jacques, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Ok so the first songs of this record were really bad but Sooner Or Later could rank among some of Olly's best ever!

blaze_dave likes this.
  2. Island

Island Staff Member

Sooner or Later is just fine. I like the production, but everything else is pretty meh.

3. In the hands of a scandi-girl this would have been incredible.

4. Still sounds like he’s singing Olly Murs’s leftovers to me.

5. It’s so, so basic.

AbSynth likes this.
  6. He and the people he’s writing with these days lack the ability they used to have to twist a melody in an unexpected direction or add a production flourish at the right moment, the little things that elevated Years and Years. Now it’s so obvious, lacking texture, and instantly dated.

7. I miss electronica hipster Olly.

8. Sweet Talker is at #36 for a second week.

9. Marina syndrome

Diet Pop!, ItBeats, Wishlight and 2 others like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I think the album will bop but the way he's gone 2 eras now with releasing the worst possible pre-singles.....enough.

11. Honestly just like the previous songs this is such a let down and sounds so mediocre compared to their previous works. As someone else has already said, it’s very basic. Years & Years on autopilot.

12. RJF

RJF

He has no taste level whatsoever. Left to his own devices, it’s more obvious than ever.

13. This is definitely the major issue here. The production is just too basic. I just listened to Sooner or Later for the first time and it’s the same issue there as well.
    And it’s not even just the production for me, the lyrics are also completely plain. I know he said in the Guardian interview that he wanted to make a “pop album”, but there’s ways of doing it that don’t strip the sound of all personality.

jtm, Wishlight, Diet Pop! and 2 others like this.
  14. I’m dreading this album, and I say that as someone who loved the first two.

15. I wish he went solo after Mickey and Emre left. Palo Santo had a couple of missteps, but it still had magical highs and sounded like a Years & Years album. As previously mention, none of this sounds like what made Years & Years so great and there is a major disconnect going on. How sad.

16. I think Olly benefits from some balancing and fleshing out which he got with the band. Now he's free to live his teen pop star fantasies. Aim a little higher, Olly.

17. Received the album today (thanks, Amazon) and the version of Sweet Talker on the vinyl isn't the Galantis version. I'm guessing it's an earlier version as it's not a million miles away but still a different production.

The album is sounding very cohesive to these ears. There are some very poppy songs on there but some more traditional sort of Years & Years songs with tracks like Strange and Unusual. The worst track is definitely Starstruck. He made it sound like it was wall to wall bangers and while there aren't any ballads, songs like Make It Out Alive are definitely mid-tempo (it's great too). Night Call (the song) was incredibly instant.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  18. Island

Island Staff Member

Early album reviews seem to be pretty lukewarm with most of them basically going "it's a step in the right direction" ddd.

19. I mean from my first listen it's not going to change the world (it's very clear that it's not trying to) but it's an enjoyable listen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.