Years & Years - Night Call | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Years & Years - Night Call

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Jacques, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Yeah "I really enjoyed the Communion era and I purposefully won't mention the other one" reads as shade, to be honest.

Pat, Wishlight, nooniebao and 32 others like this.
  2. Not Emre getting kicked off his own band.

3. Only mentioning Communion and 'I will miss seeing your joyful faces in the crowd' doesn't strike me as a mutual decision message. I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushed out, but we'll never know.

4. New single I Can't Help It...? Parts of it seem interspersed throughout this.

5. Wouldn’t it just have been easier to go solo?

Runawaywithme likes this.
  6. Young Olly was soooo cute. (He still is but whew I had such a crush on him during the Communion era)

Nn I also completely forgot about Sanctify. They made such a mistake not release Up In Flames as the lead single of Palo Santo.

7. kal

kal

I still bop to Sanctify and maintain it was the right choice.

nooniebao, rdp, LPT and 13 others like this.
  8. I think Up In Flames is a great 'statement' song and it did a better job bridging their Communion sound with Palo Santo's. I love All For You and it definitely deserved to be a single but it kind of flopped, no? If You're Over Me was always gonna be the standout hit from the album and I think All For You preceding it would've been a bit too similar.

9. Up in Flames being considered a bonus track was sinful.

Wishlight, londonrain, Kyle. and 4 others like this.
  10. Sanctify was a dreadful lead single and the reason the album underperformed.

11. Rendezvous should have been a single.

12. Feel a bit badly for Emre and Mikey. It’s all a bit odd and tight-lipped for those of us who have watched the band more closely than the general public.

And yet, I can’t help but be a bit excited for a streamlined vision and strategy behind Olly’s obvious star power.

I hope the dust eventually settles and all parties—including those of us thirsty for the music—are happy.

13. kal

kal

This so much. I would have gladly traded Sanctify for it, as much as I enjoy it. Rendezvous is just so playful. Makes me wanna shake my bony ass every time.

14. I absolutely adore that song. Maybe not as a lead single, but then again, they were showing a different side to them and not just rehashing something that had worked before. I think it's a fantastic song. Elements of Michael Jackson 90s stuff running through it.

Stopremix likes this.
  15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The amount of single options they had and they went with 2 of the weakest on the album. All For You > Hallelujah > Rendezvous as a singles run was right there.

16. kal

kal

I always felt Hallelujah was let down by its chorus. I like my Years & Years choruses with some melodies.

Hypnotized would have made a lovely last single though. It’s a discography highlight for me.

17. They thought Sanctify was some Justify My Love-esque anthem and well,

etienne, Square and Poker Pro like this.
  18. I still wish that we got the H&M/Erdem version of 'Hypnotised'. It went off!

19. I know All For You was a little too similar to the Communion era but I’m sad that it flopped.

20. If You’re Over Me was a bop but felt more like an Olly solo track? It missed the electronic euphoria of Y&Y for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.