Years & Years - Night Call | Page 53 | The Popjustice Forum

Years & Years - Night Call

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Jacques, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Adding all their old hits (King, Shine etc) at the end of the album to get extra fake album streams it the lowest I've seen a record label! Not even Mabel would do that. Horrific what desperate labels would do.

2. I mean, it’s Polydor we’re talking about here after all…

GodsAndMonsters likes this.
  3. Oh that's probably why I enjoy it so much.

VivaForever and Shuey like this.
  4. wait this is so accurate

Shuey likes this.
  5. Night Call (the song) is genuinely great and I’m baffled why it wasn’t a single. But nothing else on here comes close to the Years & Years I loved (besides maybe Crave). There are hints of it Sooner or Later and Strange and Unusual, but that’s about it for me at the moment.

blaze_dave and Island like this.
  6. In the minority but I cannot wait to here this, I still absolutely love Crave.

7. RJF

RJF

This album is actually fine! I was expecting something far worse from the singles, but there are a few bright spots. It does feel a little cheap in every regard though; the production on a lot of the tracks just feels so canned. All the hits from the first album and the singles from the second album being tacked onto the end just make that difference even more pronounced. I can see the music career getting put on the back burner for a while after the wildly ambitious tour... if it goes ahead.

8. Yeah, I'm one of his biggest defenders on here but there's largely nothing listenable on this project.

Sick Sad World and Hyrulian like this.
  9. Crave is the only thing I'm taking from this

[​IMG]

LPT and Rob like this.
  10. I wonder where this will debut in the U.K. Does he have a shot at number 1? I can’t imagine his pre sales were that high, and then we still have Adele and Ed high in the charts, and now Meat Loaf. I wonder if number 4 is where he’ll end up.

Edit: oh and there’s The Weeknd, and Lin Manuel Miranda to contend with too. Eek.

11. I just realized the best songs on this are all actually bonus tracks. WHY

blaze_dave likes this.
  12. I will stan All For You forever. Such a wasted opportunity.

This album is not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. There's a few nice bops. Nothing groundbreaking, but that's not really a surprise, is it?

I'm quite shocked as to how many countries this is charting in on iTunes. I had no idea Olly was such a global icon...

chasingthepast, etienne and Txetxu like this.
  13. I really like it and I think some are doing the absolutely most because this isn't Communion Part 2. And it's not trying to be. I went into this with zero expectations based off the three singles released- but I've been more than a little pleasantly surprised. The title track, Make It Out Alive and Muscle are the holy trinity for me at the moment.

14. On first listen I found this album very forgettable and I was a massive Palo Santo fan. I was more than fine for him to go full pop, but he went full bland instead. Crave is a nice moment but only because it sounds like a Palo Santo leftover.

Stopremix likes this.
  15. Just started listening and already on the first song I am wondering why wasn‘t this the first single? Mess of a campaign.

idratherjack and blaze_dave like this.
  16. The album is ok but you have to wonder about the single choices since they are some of the weakest tracks on the album.

Alenko and idratherjack like this.
  17. This is actually a pretty great album if you take out the singles - what were they thinking?

Consequences, Night Call, Sooner Or Later, 20 Minutes, Make It Out Alive, See You Again, Immaculate and Muscle are all bops.

navytaxi, Matgo, VeryPSB and 8 others like this.
  18. Crave really grew on me. The "How could you ever leave" refrain gets me every time.

This turned out to be a wee gem of an album.

Wishlight, 4Roses, varjak and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.