Years & Years - "Starstruck" + 3rd Album | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

Years & Years - "Starstruck" + 3rd Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Jacques, Feb 9, 2021.

1. I've just got round to listening to this. It's enjoyable, but reading the comments here I now can't unhear the Olly Murs and Justin Timberlake comparisons. It definitely has a similar feel to Can't Stop The Feeling! but I won't be mad if Olly is able to achieve similar success with this and have it be song of the summer like that (unfortunately) was.

Alenko, OlliMaus, Heartthrob and 4 others like this.
  2. I don’t mind this, it’s fun, it does bop abit and I might end up loving it. I just had a feeling from the snippet it’d be like this - it sounds exactly like what I feared ‘Years & Years’ would end up sounding like...like a band trying to impersonate Years & Years, but it not quite sounding right if that makes sense ddd.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    adayasatiger likes this.
  3. A bit too thin and light for me.

Wishlight, acl, jtm and 3 others like this.
  4. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to get a hit out of the gate with this to make the rest of the campaign a bit easier. Sanctify / All for You weren’t massive, but this seems like an easier hit and perfect for nicer weather coming up. I think a bit of lightness and a summery bop is just what everybody needs right now!

5. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

It would help if the chorus had more than one line of melody, right?

Stopremix likes this.
  6. This body shaming

Wishlight, ItBeats, acl and 23 others like this.
  7. The very definition of a basic bop.

8. Sue appreciates.

ItBeats and GodsAndMonsters like this.
  9. Literally just heard this via Sue!
    I’m enjoying... but reading the Justin Timberlake comments and now I can’t unhear it.

10. I quite like this so of course it's getting a lukewarm reception here. This feels like a more accessible, radio-friendly start than Palo Santo/Sanctify. Given how different Sanctify was to If You're Over Me, I'm still hopeful for All For You/King-level bops.

11. I can see this doing very well on radio but it’s pretty faceless as a Years & Years single. I hope it isn’t an indication of the overall direction / quality of the record.

D.Jay likes this.
  12. Argh this is almost aggressively generic on first listen.

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I like it!! The chorus bangs.

14. Hmm. It's OK. The chorus chord change is, at least, not a super-obvious one. But it does feel like "you'd like some pop music, sir? Certainly; how many yards?". It's no "King", sadly, but it's also no "If You're Over Me", so that's progress of a sort.

Leader Beans likes this.
  15. RJF

RJF

We'll always have that first album I guess.

16. He could do with a hit single so hopefully this will do the job. I love it, especially the synth explosion and filtered vocals part after the breakdown. The video’s quite quirky and not generic.

MeganTu likes this.
  17. I was really hoping he had another 'Shine' in him.

18. It's not out yet is it?

19. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I don't hear much Timberlake in this beyond a passing similarity. The thing it really brings to mind is...Sam Sparro's debut album. That's a positive thing to me, but I don't think the twelve other people who remember that album would agree.

20. It’s very ‘Olly Murs records a 2015 Tom Aspaul demo,’ but I’m bopping.

That said, it’s monotonous in a way that I think would have been better served as an under 3-minute track.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 3:27 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.