"You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other dimwitted judge comments | The Popjustice Forum

"You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other dimwitted judge comments

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by JonBcn, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Virtually every time Louis Walsh opens his mouth he says something so astoundingly pointless or that betrays a criminal lack of musical knowledge, that I thought it might be fun to track some of them here.

So far this series his new catchphrase (I think he has told everyone at least once by now) has been that they "look like a pop star", which is a pretty astute observation. I'm sure the team of stylists that spent all week preparing them to sing a pop song in front of 14 million people must feel validated.

Others that made me snigger:

Katie, (presumably on the basis that she has bleached hair, and a level of natural rhythm that matches her artistic integrity): you're like a Gwen Stefani!

Rebecca, (er...dark skin and a figure hugging dress?): you're a new Sade!

He gets paid over a million pounds per series for this stuff, apparently.

2. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

All the judges repeat stuff, they are like robots with a few sayings that they random, Simon is always saying 'you took a risk' or 'you're very current'

Although I like Cheryl as a popstar I can't stand her on the X factor, every time she opens her mouth I cringe!

3. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

I just mentioned this in the judges thread before I came in here! He's called people Gwen before, and it makes absolutely no sense. It really is the most recent pop star he knows of, and that really says a lot about his knowledge. The amount of times he's called someone a 'young Dusty Springield'.

4. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

the best thing louis ever said was when he called one of his own contestants a crap, pretty, irish boy who's name escapes me that he was

'like a young Shakin' Stevens' !!

5. SBK

SBK

Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

I agree, Simon repeats himself over and over.

6. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

The whole 'popstar' thing is all the bloody judges this year though.

I loved Louis last year but I'm back to detesting him again.

7. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

"Ah thurruglhy enjoyed it." - Cheryl
    "You put your stamp ALL OVER IT!" / some random Aussie quip like "Blackpool TURN THE LIGHTS ON!" or something equally cringeworthy/endearing - Dannii
    "You look like a popstar, you sing like a popstar, you behave like a popstar, you ARE a popstar! You are really current and unique and you are the biggest [...] in the music industry at the moment!" - Simon

Weird comparisons:

Rebecca and... Sade, Florence, Nina Simone
    TreyC and... Tina Turner
    Katie and... Madonna, Lady GarGar
    Aiden and... ELVIS
    One Direction and... 5 Justin Biebers
    Belle Amie and... any other girl band

8. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

Haha, I forgot about Aiden and Elvis having the same 'intensity'.

The lazy comparisons are quite entertaining though. It's almost as if they get fixated on one little titbit of information that they have about each artist. It reminds me of my Dad who, in the '80s whenever he heard Kate Bush on the radio would go "Is that the doctor's daughter from Surrey?", completely unable to process anything more than that about her...

9. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

"YOU ARE WORLD CLASS!"

10. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

"You could have a number 1 record with that, that will be number 1 on Sunday!"

Why has nobody briefed Louis that the songs aren't eligible to chart?

11. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

"YOU ARE WHAT THIS SHOW IS ALL ABOUT!'' - I swear that gets said to pretty much every contestant.

Taeyang likes this.
  12. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

"I'm going to completely disagree with..."

What's sad is that people actually hang onto every word when Simon does that.

13. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

"The girls will love you" - presumably to try and reinforce that the hapless male who has
    just performed is IN NO WAY GAY.

"You're the real deal"

That was Philip from Series 2 - needless to say he went out that week after that kiss of death.

14. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

I love how he barely ever talks about the vocals.

15. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

I agree with the gist of the topic, but they aren't analogies.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4435/me5a.jpg

But yeh, Dannii really is the only one that can be arsed to say anything original.

And they don't seem to comprehend the utter hypocrisy of what they say to different acts

This year (as far as I can make out) they want 'edgy' and 'original' (ie copying from Lady Gaga not Mariah Carey) artists, who have swagger and confidence and 'act like pop stars'. Specifically trying to GET AWAY from fat middle-aged Tesco workers called Mary. (don't get me wrong; I love Mary) But STILL they don't have the courage of their convictions and they heap praise on her every week for being someone 'every woman can identify with'.

16. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

'This is why we don't have an upper age limit' - Simon

17. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

Oh and just because Dannii did her fashion series, does not make her a fashion guru. I wish she'd shut up about their styling.

18. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

This isn't X Factor but I thought it was hilarious. Lesley Garrett said on Celeb Fame Academy once this:

"You're like a female Tina Turner!"

19. Re: "You Look Like A Pop Star!" and other Louis Walsh analogies

Overused words!

Simon: Geniunely. (to be extra sincere, "genuinely, GENUINELY)
    Cheryl: Thoroughly

20. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

I think the thread title should be changed to 'Judges & their sayings' or something a bit more general?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.