You really should be watching Hulu's 'PEN15' | The Popjustice Forum

You really should be watching Hulu's 'PEN15'

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by HorseTears, Mar 15, 2019.

1. What a funny and charming show. And the (very adult) lead actresses play middle schoolers so well I keep having to remind myself they're actually in their 30s.

The late 90s / early 2000s period detail is spot on, too.

As funny as the show is, I'm also surprised at how moving it can be. I just finished episode three in which Maya discovers... as Steve Martin said in The Jerk... her "special purpose." It managed to be quite meaningful and empowering without being preachy.

JapaneseJesus likes this.
  2. Love this show so much. It's funny but goes deep and sometimes is way too real, I was 12 in the year 2000 so I could relate a lot with the main characters and that whole era. And that dance scene with Des'ree's You Gotta Be is a spiritual sequel to Romy and Michelle dancing to Time After Time.

HorseTears likes this.
  3. I loved this show! Really hilarious and it’s pretty cool having a show set in a past decade that I can actually remember living through. Looking forward to a season 2 because I binge watched the first in the space of 3 days and really want more.

4. Uno

Uno

I watched it all in one day - it was so funny. Even when they're not trying to be funny, it's still hilariously uncomfortable reminding yourself that these women are in their 30s playing these awfully awkward teens and really nailing it.

The scene with the throbbing vagina really sent me - was not expecting that.

HorseTears likes this.
  5. I still find myself randomly laughing thinking of the moment when they show the hat-designer their headshots and she mutters under her breath "jesus."

Remorque likes this.
  6. I was 12 in 2000. We are ULTRA millennials. I must watch.

Terminus likes this.
  7. I started this a few days ago and it really is Broad City set back 20 years. I'm on the Posh episode now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.