Your unpopular pop opinions

If we're going to discuss Nicole, we need to talk about "Right There". Such a tune.

I like the way you talk dirty. Don't wash your mouth out, I like it dirty.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Oh, I'm not the biggest fan of "Say Yes". It's decent, but my takeaways from the album are the title track, "Don't Hold Your Breath", "Poison", "Right There", "Power's Out" and "Heartbeat".

All fine choices! I think Say Yes should replace Poison, but at least we agree on the flawlessness of that album.

I genuinely just do not get all the starry eyed romanticism over something as tired and basic as "We Found Love". It was really only fun to love when everyone else in the country was loving it and it could be a wee zeitgeist-y thing. Although I guess that's Rihanna core fan base in a nutshell.

I genuinely just do not get all the starry eyed romanticism over something as tired and basic as "We Found Love". It was really only fun to love when everyone else in the country was loving it and it could be a wee zeitgeist-y thing. Although I guess that's Rihanna core fan base in a nutshell.

Your disdain tastes like bitter almonds.

We Found Love is ai'ite, but it's eclipsed on its own record by the far superior Where Have You Been. Where.... just brings the full package. It's got the thudding dance carnage, the great lyrics and the real highs and lows that We Found Love just doesn't have the capacity to accommodate.

Not to mention the career-ending, industry-destroying heavyweight punch to my soul that was Only Queen (On the Throne). Her best lead single, bar none.

Umbrella comes like, 4th or 5th on the list. It sounds so average nowadays. Jay-Z's rap is unbearable, and the whole affair doesn't really get more than a listen a month these days. It's no Pon De Jesus or Only Empress.

'We Found Love' > 'Where Have You Been'

'Where Have You Been' is great, but it irks me slightly that the verses are just too much of Geoff Mack's 'I've Been Everywhere'. Had it been written with a slightly stronger verse, I'd like it more.

Oh, I'm not the biggest fan of "Say Yes". It's decent, but my takeaways from the album are the title track, "Don't Hold Your Breath", "Poison", "Right There", "Power's Out" and "Heartbeat".

Umm hello!?!?! 'Killer Love' too!

'We Found Love' > 'Where Have You Been'

'Where Have You Been' is great, but it irks me slightly that the verses are just too much of Geoff Mack's 'I've Been Everywhere'. Had it been written with a slightly stronger verse, I'd like it more.

The verses and pre-chorus are what make it amazing. I was only sold on that generic breakdown by the amazing choreo she does for it in the video.

he/him
I am thoroughly bored of We Found Love. *Random sort-of-comparison alert* You Bring Me Joy does the whole ~totes emosh~ thing much better - ie in a way that is actually convincing - so it gives me everything I need in that department.

I love 'We Found Love' and probably always will, no matter how much it gets played.

It's an absolute beast of a track and Rihanna goes and destroys the whole thing with her desolate vocals (by destroy - I mean in a good way, the whole song could be this happy thumper but instead feels cold whilst at the same time euphoric). It's her finest moment, and Calvin's too.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I love 'We Found Love' and probably always will, no matter how much it gets played.

It's an absolute beast of a track and Rihanna goes and destroys the whole thing with her desolate vocals (by destroy - I mean in a good way, the whole song could be this happy thumper but instead feels cold whilst at the same time euphoric). It's her finest moment, and Calvin's too.

Everything about this. Could never dislike or grow tired of We Found Love.