Your unpopular pop opinions | Page 2384 | The Popjustice Forum

Your unpopular pop opinions

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. They just don't connect with the gheys, and that's fine I think. Especially not like the true gods Bowie and Mitchell. But I periodically forget they exist, let alone ever consider listening past what I already know. I have the white album. Oh maybe it's Revolver. Are they the same? I like Eleanor Rigby.
    I have the red vinyl version of Abbey Road. A gift. Shrug. Influence undeniable. Do I care? Not a jot.

P'NutButter likes this.
  2. I hate most almost everything Beyoncé put her name to prior to the self-titled album - Crazy In Love, Irreplaceable, Single Ladies, Love On Top etc. With that said, I fucking adore the fifty shades remix of Crazy In Love.

I also haven't listened to Lemonade in full, but dislike most of what I've heard with the exception of Formation.

Txetxu likes this.
  3. BML

BML

This is me. I cannot get with those layered WALL OF VOCALS choruses. I'm glad she finally moved away from that formula.

4. Honeymoon is unfairly & severely underrated.

I mean, honestly...

5. Whitney Houston was a more natural actress than Madonna. Evita is highly overrated. Desperately Seeking Susan is cute in a dated kind of way but Madonna is more or less playing herself.

Madonna is more of an entertainer than a singer. She could never stand on stage with a microphone, a band and backing singers for two hours a night for six months. It's not her thing. She lives for the dancing, the props and the effects.The spectacle of her shows comes from the sheer size of the production rather than her voice.

I doubt anyone, not even Madonna, will ever beat Cher's record for being the oldest female artist to have a number-one single. She was 52 when Believe was released in 1998. Tina Turner was nearly 60 when she had another top 10 entry in the U.K. with When the Heartache Is Over. Madonna was 49 when she had a U.K. number one with 4 Minutes, the same age Kylie Minogue is this year, but you have to take into consideration the ten-year age gap and the fact that Madonna released her first album in 1983 rather than 1988. Madonna benefited from releasing Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy at a time when the industry and radio stations weren't so ageist and when streaming didn't rule the charts. No one can expect Kylie Minogue and other artists her age to have a number one single in 2017 when it's no longer possible for a Madonna single to make the top 20. It's unrealistic and unfair to compare. The success of Believe (11 million copies sold worldwide) is even more impressive when you consider it was released before downloads came along. I think it's fair to say Hung Up only sold nine million copies because people could download it for $0.99. I doubt it would have sold that many copies in a pre-iTunes industry.

Bedtime Stories doesn't belong in the same sentence as those other albums.

You mean this Tina Turner outfit? If so, I agree. The greats never go out of style.

[​IMG]

As someone who grew up in the 1980s, I can honestly say Madonna wasn't particularly cool. Hugely popular, yes. The girls loved her and the dancing and the fashion and her attitude. I'm sure there were straight men who enjoyed her music, but they were few and far between. I never knew any or at least no one who would admit to listening to her music. She was a bit of a guilty pleasure. Michael Jackson and Prince were far cooler. I grew up listening to them and other singers like Tina, Chaka Khan, Whitney, Patti LaBelle, Cher and Aretha. Madonna certainly defines the 1980s, that's a given.

Very true.

I see a lot of Tina Turner in Beyonce.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Txetxu, He's So Unusual and Farnaby like this.
  6. This so much.
    And her Don't Let Me Be Understood cover is gold.

Subspace88 likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray

I don't know if that's unpopular. Music is like a car crash of two albums. One of them being great and one really not being great at all.

8. Are y'all the same person? Because I'm pretty sure y'all are the same person.

K94, Raichu, Wishlight and 7 others like this.
  9. RJF

RJF

Jesus Christ.

K94, LTG, joe_alouder and 5 others like this.
  10. Where does Jody Watley fit into this?

sexercise and Andy French like this.
  11. Somewhere outside the frame.

Mr Blonde, K94, Wishlight and 6 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

K94, Up Down Suite, Wishlight and 5 others like this.
  13. In Japan.

14. There was a rather worrisome implication amidst all that mess that an artist can't be considered "cool" if they're only openly enjoyed by women and gays. Yikes.

K94, ohnostalgia, Island and 6 others like this.
  15. To be honest, I think Ed Sheeran is over-hated on here. (Though I do think the newest was a substantial step down, I still use a few songs from it.)

16. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Abso-fucking-lutely. Especially when he beats favourites of ours he's seen as 'everything that's wrong with the charts today'.

1. He's not doing that, his fans are (though I doubt he's complaining)
    2. He's making perfecly servicable enjoyable pop music. He might not be the diva most of us are looking for,but his songs aren't exactly a crime to music either.

17. Halsey and Pixie Lott are slaying me tonight with their latest releases, and life is a kii.

Island and WhenTheSunGoesDown like this.
  18. There's a lot of unacknowledged racism in pop fans' dismissal of rap features.

19. My favorite Nicki song is "Four Door Aventador".

20. I think people usually just want an uninterrupted, sugary female pop song.

Lapras, islandgal, agnete and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.