Your unpopular pop opinions

Future Nostalgia was staggeringly impressive dance pop from a sonic perspective, but I don't have much long term investment in Dua Lipa as an artist. She doesn't seem to have artistic goals beyond making great sounding dance music, which there is a ton of. This era made me realize that her songs are so regularly built upon an obvious cliche as well. She's a great singer with her fair share of great songs, but she falls pretty flat in terms of what I look for in a pop artist.

Last edited:
Future Nostalgia was staggeringly impressive dance pop from a sonic perspective, but I don't have much long term investment in Dua Lipa as an artist. She doesn't seem to have a artistic goals beyond making great sounding dance music, which there is a ton of. This era made me realize that her songs are so regularly built upon an obvious cliche as well. She's a great singer with her fair share of great songs, but she falls pretty flat in terms of what I look for in a pop artist.
Both songs from the new campaign have bored me to death.

I’m a more-than-casual (but not quite card-carrying) Beyonce fan. I find Beyince/Cowboy Carter a chore. The songs are pretty great but just feel heavy. I’m exhausted.
This is how I feel about self-titled and Lemonade ddd, I wish I could hear what everyone else hears but I just don't enjoy them. Renaissance felt like a return to form for me - parts of Cowboy Carter are fantastic but I definitely prefer it's predecessor. To be fair Renaissance was always going to be hard to top, a brilliant record from start to finish.

I’ve found most of Beyoncé’s albums a slog to get through. Renaissance was better, but I wasn’t in love with it like 90% of other gays. I’m completely turned off by the current material, as in actively trying to avoid it, but Country is my least favourite music genre so it’s really just not for me. Overall I do find something quite disingenuous about Beyoncé and her music which turns me off.

There is something disingenuous about Beyoncé but there’s something disingenuous about almost every huge pop girl if we’re being honest. And I think the honesty in her work outweighs anything disingenuous.

Last edited:
I think Beyonce holds so many of her cards close to her chest for justifiable reasons which can create a bit of dissonance when we expect pop stars to be relatable/confessional and accessible via social media these days. Her pours herself into the material and it demands the listener to engage with her as an artist directly through her art. I respect the hell out of it, personally.

I think Beyonce holds so many of her cards close to her chest for justifiable reasons which can create a bit of dissonance when we expect pop stars to be relatable/confessional and accessible via social media these days. Her pours herself into the material and it demands the listener to engage with her as an artist directly through her art. I respect the hell out of it, personally.

I love that about her too. One example is how she never talked about being robbed of AOTY a few times anywhere, to the point that you think she doesn't even notice this stuff, until she casually drops this:

A-O-T-Y, I ain't win (That's cool)
I ain't stuntin' 'bout them
Take that shit on the chin
Come back and fuck up the pen (Yeah)

I find delivering your message in this way much more powerful.

Both songs from the new campaign have bored me to death.
Yeah, they're just there and have pretty flat choruses IMO. IDK. I would just expect more from a huge artist on their third album. When people talk about the so called progression in the songs, it really does feel like grasping at straws (which happens quite a bit on this forum: people trying to make the tiniest stylistic changes come off as innovation). And also, I think she really needs to improve her pen game. The themes she tackles are beyond simple and cliched. I get that it's dance pop, but that doesn't mean that is has to be superficial.

Yes, the music sounds good on a surface level, but what big budget album/song doesn't sound good these days? I want the music to be more interesting at this point and it just isn't. She's tackled making great dance music. What else does she have? To me, if you want to be great, you have to cross the threshold between great sounds and genuine intrigue.

I also think some people in the Dua thread are playing a pretty disingenuous expectations game. They hyped up her third album as a guaranteed smash that would obliterate the industry and now that that's not happening, there's a lot of, "Why do you guys have unrealistic expectations?" It's all pretty annoying, but it's not unique to Dua fans. That just the way pop forum stanning works.

Last edited:
The last new Beyoncé song I know is ‘Run the World’, which I thought was a bit crap, but I am old in popjustice years and don’t check for her (or any current artists) ddd. I heard one of the later tracks, ‘Formation’, or something, but couldn’t tell you how it went if you held a gun to my head. I thought she was OK in Destiny’s Child, but her solo work doesn’t grab me.

Last edited:
- Kelly Clarkson has a really strong discography and I love her but I can't stand My Life Would Suck Without You and Mr. Know It All - both dreadful. I Do Not Hook Up is really overrated too it's always a skip for me (another unpopular Kelly one would be that I actually love the All I Ever Wanted album ddd)

- This is What the Truth Feels Like by Gwen Stefani is just as good as her other albums. People seem to think of it as being a drop in quality but I think it's a really great record. She doesn't have a bad album!

- The first Spice Girls album isn't that great, I wouldn't miss Wannabe or Say You'll Be There from their discography at all. Spiceworld is far superior and it's actually the only Spice Girls album I really go back to

- I don't bother much with solo Spice releases (aside from Victoria Beckham's unreleased stuff which slaps), but some of my favourites are For Once In My Life by Mel B and Yeh Yeh Yeh by Mel C. I think they're both fantastic pop songs but they don't really seem to be fan favourites