Your unpopular pop opinions

One of the Boys is dreadful, mostly because of her vocals.

Teenage Dream is half greatest hits, half shit.

Prism is better than both of them, but not exactly a favorite album of mine.

Witness has some solid stuff, but it also includes some of her worst work.

Smile was my favorite album of her when it was released but I haven't really return to it since then.

She's basically the only reason Rihanna is not the BPP with the worst discography.

Reputation is a great record, I just love the whole albums vibe and it's probably my second favourite album of hers behind 1989.

Tracks such as I Did Something Bad, So It Goes..., Dancing With Our Hands Tied, Don't Blame Me, Look What You Made Me Do and ...Ready For It? are really catchy in comparison to most of the wishy-washy stuff on her new album (and some of Midnights) where it feels like she's just doing ten variations of the same songs at this point. I just find the album really fresh and energetic in a way I don't think a Taylor Swift album has been since.

Perhaps another unpopular opinion is New Years Day is one of my favourite Taylor ballads.

Anyway, I'm a Reputation stan!

I've just ...not bothered listening to anything Taylor's released since Lover. I might have tried Folklore once but it didn't stick.

Not out of any disappointment or negative perspective, she just moves so fast I feel there's no time to absorb anything, the opposite of which is usually the problem with most artists. My Taylor stan work colleague seems to be telling me every other week a new album (or version of) is about to drop.

she/her
Reputation is a great record, I just love the whole albums vibe and it's probably my second favourite album of hers behind 1989.

Tracks such as I Did Something Bad, So It Goes..., Dancing With Our Hands Tied, Don't Blame Me, Look What You Made Me Do and ...Ready For It? are really catchy in comparison to most of the wishy-washy stuff on her new album (and some of Midnights) where it feels like she's just doing ten variations of the same songs at this point. I just find the album really fresh and energetic in a way I don't think a Taylor Swift album has been since.

Perhaps another unpopular opinion is New Years Day is one of my favourite Taylor ballads.

Anyway, I'm a Reputation stan!
I think Reputation has actually become a fan favourite over time, so I wouldn't say this is an unpopular opinion. I think the whole 'bad gal Tay' narrative that surrounded its release turned people off at the time, but it's funny cause most of the album is actually about falling in love.

It's not at the top of my Taylor albums list, but there's some really really solid pop songs on it.

I'm probably going to get torn to shreds here but what's new.

That Good Luck Babe song that's everywhere is probably the most irritating and headache inducing song I've heard all year. Whenever it comes on and she starts screeching I need to turn it off immediately

nene-leakes-nene.gif

Her album is 50/50 for me. 50% genuinely great songs and 50% that's just too ~quirky bedroom pop for me to really get into but Good Luck Babe is one of the best songs of the year for me. What an earworm.

LTG

he/him
I'm probably going to get torn to shreds here but what's new.

That Good Luck Babe song that's everywhere is probably the most irritating and headache inducing song I've heard all year. Whenever it comes on and she starts screeching I need to turn it off immediately

View attachment 55561
It's over 3:30 and has a middle eight, I'd have thought you'd love it!

Radical Optimism is travel channel music. Tried it on vacation and even from the middle of the ocean getting cooked by the sun it still sucks.

Radical Optimism is travel channel music. Tried it on vacation and even from the middle of the ocean getting cooked by the sun it still sucks.
I love a good half of the songs but can’t really remember the other half and as someone whose opinion I appreciate I’m wondering what brings it to the level of “still sucks” for you?

This is patently untrue. She's applying the maximalist pop blueprint to her own very queer lived experience, and especially in this current political climate, her unrepentant openness about both that and drag is sorely needed.
That's why I said 'music' and not 'lyrics/concept' dd. I clearly don't know aynthing about her but when I hear "Pink Pony Club" or "Good Luck, Babe!", I'm always like 'eh, it's just another song'. Sonically, there's nothing interesting nor remotely innovative happening to make me gravitate towards her as an artist.

Don’t be mad but I don’t love Espresso. It’s a very nice song but I don’t like it as much as everyone else. I love Feather though.

I love a good half of the songs but can’t really remember the other half and as someone whose opinion I appreciate I’m wondering what brings it to the level of “still sucks” for you?

I was being a bit flippant but I think it's the general toothlessness of a lot it. I think she's done breeziness well (Be the One an obvious example) but the themes being so generic paired with production that glistens to the point of sterility at times just leaves me frustrated every time I get to the back half. It comes down to personal preference but there's been so much music this year I've been appreciating the messier and/or more cumbersome releases because of how much there tends to be to unpack on repeat listens. A big part of it is down to lack of connection with the material, but I do think it's just...pretty boring. If I would to contextualize it, a lot of Dua's best material has stakes to it and that only really comes through on Houdini and Training Season here. Falling Forever still tbd for that opening.