Your unpopular pop opinions | Page 888 | The Popjustice Forum

Your unpopular pop opinions

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. I don't like them, but surely this must be a joke?

2. I kind of agree with that.

3. I was thinking of it as more a long the lines of the mandotary ballad on the album. (Is it a ballad ? I'm not even sure..)

First all the song would be greatly improved with the Girls vocals, and I also feel like the song has that 'cut-and-paste' feeling of various different songs that somehow work together than Xenomania do so well.

4. Well, with Xenomania it's usually the best parts of 4 different pop songs. With We Are Young it's "verse from crappy indie rock song with Britney's nasal singing" + "hook from good R&B song with Xtina's melisma" + "voice memo stolen from Janelle Monae's iPhone" (I do believe the extended remix has the full line untouched by editing, "Be sure to just carry the spare key today; David is taking the car to the shop for me tonight").

5. I don't think I'm being unpopular when I say We Are Young is awful. Girls Aloud covering it wouldn't change that.

6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

It's terrible. Especially the vocalist's voice. It's annoying.

7. I thought HYSTERIA was talking about that Mika vs. RedOne song and I was almost inclined to agree...

The fun. song has suffered from overexposure. It's not that bad on occasion.

8. It is the lead vicalist's facial expressions which truly elevate it from "middle of the road" to "irritatingly shit".

9. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Yeah, he comes off like a massive twat.

10. We Are Young is lyrically poignant with a massive chorus. Don't be those people that don't like it because it's not a standard pop song.

11. But it's really annoying and boring and just utterly horrid. I can like songs that aren't 100% pop but I hate that song with a passion.

Nothing worse than a song that tries to be joyful but doesn't evoke any emotion inside you whatsoever.

12. RJF

RJF

"We Are Young" is such a laboured effort. The chorus is like chaining a boulder to your ankle and dragging it around. It's not a standard pop song, correct. It's sub-standard.

13. Madonna's Masterpiece is the best song on MDNA and basically one of the best songs of her career. Why can't people see this?

"It seem to me is what you're like
    The "look but please don't touch me" type
    And honestly it can't be fun
    To always be the chosen one"

So beautiful! I even liked W/E.

14. I don't know where I'd place it in terms of her entire career, but I think it may be my favourite song on MDNA (though I'm not certain). I think people are a bit unfair about the lyrics, to be honest - they're not anywhere near as bad as people make out. "Tiny particles of light" is a very pretty turn of phrase, if you ask me.

15. I love that line as well! I just love that whole song, I can't explain why...it's just beautiful and while the lyrics are saccharine, they really work perfectly in its references to art..

16. Masterpiece was the song that made me want to listen to MDNA and although the rest of album doesn't quite hold to that standard, it reminds you of how Madonna can still make beautiful and emotional songs when she sets her mind to it.

17. BML

BML

Am I the only one who can't hear Janelle Monae on We Are Young? I have no idea what part she supposedly sings and I've never understood why she was featured on it. Granted, I've only heard that song a handful of times but still!

18. I thought that too at first. She sings the "carry me home tonight" parts (basically could be any other female singer and we wouldn't notice).

The chorus is massive. Anyone who disagrees with that clearly needs their ears checking. The verses I can see are a bit laborious and dull but the chorus is just epic.

19. It's a decent song, but the vocalist is a bit rubbish with that whiny faux-Scottish thing going on.

20. Why is Windows Down by Big Time Rush one of the singles of the year? Why did Ke$ha not use it for her album? I'm trying my best to front but I cannot. It's absolutely 10/10.

I've been bopping for 2 days straight and there isn't an end in sight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.