Your unpopular pop opinions | Page 889 | The Popjustice Forum

Your unpopular pop opinions

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. I actually don't mind the verses of We Are Young - they've got a cute, folksy appeal.

But that chorus just makes me want to smash things out of sheer annoyance. It's so ridiculously drawn-out and whiny. In particular, the singers use of melisma ("nii-ii-ii-ee-ii-ii-ee-iight", etc) just sounds like some sort of sick parody. It's as though someones taken a Mariah Carey chorus, pitched it down, slowed the tempo to about a fifth of what it should be, and put it through some sort of "drunk lad" filter. It actually causes me physical pain to listen to it.

2. Ther is absolutely no reasoning behind Janelle's appearance on 'We Are Young' and whilst I'm glad for any exposure it gains her, I was guffawing when an heard them say in an interview they specifically wanted her; literally anybody could pull that almost silent, drowned out, lifeless repetition off.

3. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

We Are Young is a suicide song. It's so BAD.

4. "I guess that I just thought we could find new ways to fall apart."

"But between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in my apologies, you know I'm trying hard to take it back."

These lyrics are brilliant.

Also, the bridge is outstanding. There's so much happening but it doesn't feel scattered. Instead it feels very instantaneous and joyful, like all these reasons to be cynical and give up are weighing him down but there's this glimmer of hope and he decides to focus on it. If the chorus is labored, it's because he doesn't quite believe it himself, which is the entire point. He's conveying the weight of all of his problems and yet the desire to make things better for someone else. It's the decision to give up on your own life in hopes of improving another's instead. I love that idea.

5. 'We Are Young' is a great song - but the Glee version is miles better, because they remove the somewhat annoying vocalist from fun.

6. This I agree with times a million (big surprise). Replacing 95% of artists with Lea Michele boosts the quality of the song by roughly ten fold. The vocalist of fun. doesn't annoy me, but I can see why he would annoy other people.

7. We Are Young is horrifying, everyone responsible for that monstrosity should burn in Hell for all eternity. And the singer looks like he's from bloody Whoville.

8. What's Whoville?

I can't be doing with that song. I mean, I really don't use that vocalist and his nostrils get on my tits.

9. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

[​IMG]

10. A&E

A&E

Rachel Stevens' Some Girls and Crazy Boys are basically lesser versions of Goldfrapp's Strict Machine and Train, respectively.

11. And with that in mind they're still better than 99% of other electro/pop music.

12. Thank god, we're in the unpopular pop opinions thread.

As much as I used to like 'Come and Get It', it is in no way the holy grail of music as some people make it out to be.

13. PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Oh my days. Seems about right though

14. You know I was exaggerating for emphasis, Dirty (I'd use a wink smiley if they were allowed).

15. Loveplus31

Loveplus31 Guest

I miss the Jonas Brothers.

16. Oops, sorry! There are some people who actually think that 'Come and Get It' is the pop alpha and omega though, and it really confuses me.

17. Agreed. I feel they're going to come back with some crazy disco stuff.

18. Yes I don't get it either, the album is pleasant enough but nothing about it screams pop-masterpiece to me. I enjoy the Funky Dory singles more than anything on Come and Get It too.

19. A Little Bit Longer is such a flawless album. Lines, Vines and Trying Times was pretty good as well.

20. With one or two small exceptions, I don't really like American pop music. It often seems entirely cynical, vacuous, uninventive and made for money. Yes, especially Britney.

Britain and Scandinavia all the way.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.