Your unpopular pop opinions | Page 890 | The Popjustice Forum

Your unpopular pop opinions

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Nov 2, 2007.

1. I don't see those as reasons not to like the music though. The end product is what is being offered up to you, not the means it was created by. Fair enough if you don't like what you hear, nothing wrong with a reason like that, but to not like something because you view the means of the product as being cynical and vacuous to me is not a good enough reason to say you dislike the product itself.

I can definitely agree, to an extent, with you about the majority of American pop music. A lot of it is cynical, vacuous and made for money. I still personally like it though because it sounds pleasing to these ears, and that's how I judge the music, not on its artistic credentials.

2. RJF

RJF

British pop music has been fucking terrible for years though.

3. Nicola disagrees with you.

4. RJF

RJF

She shouldn't, but I wouldn't be surprised considering her own album sounded like the work of a tone-deaf person.

5. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

6. I'm not joking but Betty Boo's two albums are absolutely amazing. She's a brilliant popstar and everything I love about pop music. It gives me true joy to see her albums stacked up on the shelves of That's Entertainment. There for an entirely new generation to obsess over just as I did when I first discovered her life affirming genius. Where Are You Baby? sits snugly alongside Into The Groove and Chewing Gum as one of the most perfect pop songs of all-time.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. R92

R92

But Katy B... Unless you're not counting that as pop.

8. Well that wasn't very nice.

I'd say you all across the pond have all your boxes checked, even if they aren't THE BEST of their category.

Cheryl - the pop star
    One Direction - the boy band
    Cher Lloyd - the underdog
    The Saturdays - the girl group
    Rebecca Ferguson - the diva

Most of the best music being played in the US right now is by non-US artists. Where Have You Been and Wide Awake are basically the only iTunes top 10 songs that are by a US artist worth anything.

9. I love The Wanted. I don't really understand it, but I just can't get past how catchy some of their songs are.

10. I like The Saturdays more than Girls Aloud. I'm not saying that they are technically better or anything, just stating a personal preference, so please don't get your knickers in a twist.

11. I think The Saturdays are one of the worst pop groups of the last fifty years.

12. Katy B, Rebecca Ferguson, SBTRKT, Jessie Ware and Yasmin have done some amazing things recently.

13. There are about a million amazing British pop people, it's pointless to list becuase you'll miss out a shitload. Jessie J aside (and Rita Ora, is she even British? I honestly don't know but I feel she is), I can't name any British popstar I have no time for. Well OK that's not true. There's a few X Factor-related turds. But that's about it!

On a more random note, 'Without You' is now my favourite Lana Del Rey song. It's SO devastating.

14. Ronika is the best solo female British popstar right now.

15. When I first heard them, I thought Lana Del Rey and Azealia Banks were british. I was disappointed when I found out they weren't.

16. Loveplus31

Loveplus31 Guest

That's quite the achievement.

The Spice Girls trumps them all though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  17. Thank you.

18. I think The Saturdays are one of the best girl groups ever.

19. I find them so stale. Like, there's nothing there to work with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.